Once a plumbing system develops a fault, it costs most property owners a lot of time and money in repairs and new installations. Sometimes a faulty plumbing system has to be overhauled entirely.
Do you find yourself facing a plumbing emergency? Do you need an experienced plumber in London? You can visit www.4dheatingandplumbing.co.uk to book a plumber online in London.
What Can You Do To Prevent A Plumbing Emergency?
Most plumbing faults can be avoided by possessing some knowledge in maintaining the health of your plumbing system. Knowing how to perform basic repairs might save you much future plumbing troubles, and very excessive repair bills.
Below, we will give you a few tips on how you can avoid a plumbing disaster:
- Blocked Up Drains
Blocked drains can be very uncomfortable when it occurs. It could make your pipes unusable, and in some situations, could lead to flooding on your property. You can keep your drains free by following these easy guidelines:
- Always use a screen to cover your sink, bath and shower plug holes, to prevent food and soap, and any other solid object from going down the holes. These could block your drains.
- Ensure harsh chemicals, including certain drain cleaners, are not poured into your drains. Certain chemicals are capable of eroding your drains and causing severe drainage issues. You can get in touch with us on 4dheatingandplumbing.co.uk to book a plumber online in London and get recommendations on what drain cleaners could be suitable for your blocked drains.
- Do not pour fatty liquids or oils down your sink. Fat harden when cooled, and could cause a blockage in your pipes. Certain blocked drains are caused by Fatty and oil food disposed of improperly through the sink plug holes. So allow fatty foods to cool, and dispose them in a waste bin.
How Can You Clean Your Blocked Drains?
Without the use of any corrosive chemical or expensive equipment, there are a few simple steps to follow in ensuring your drains are well cleaned and free of faults that could cause a blocked drain London. They include:
- Set a pot to water to boil, and once it is boiling, carefully pour it down your sink or shower plug holes.
- Measure a half cup of baking soda, and pour it into the plughole. Leave it for a few minutes.
- Now throw in a cup of vinegar.
- Get a cup of boiling water, and pour it down the hole. Leave this for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Pour in a further pot of boiling water. This treatment will effectively clear your drain and prevent blocked drains.
- Blocked Toilet
Only human wastes and toilet paper should be flushed down your toilet. Any other item such as towels, tampons, sanitary towels, cotton balls and wet wipes, if sent down the toilet, will block your sewer pipes and drains. These are the usual causes of blocked drains.
- Low Water Pressure
Low water pressure can be frustrating, Basic day to day activities such as taking a shower and washing the dishes can take an unnecessarily long time when you experience low water pressure.
A leak in your plumbing can lead to low water pressure. A simple way to check out the presence of a leak is to read the count on your metre and proceed to shut off all water appliances, including showers and taps. Wait a few hours, and recheck the water metre. If the current usage count is higher than the former reading you took, then there is the possibility of a plumbing leak on your property.
Book a plumber online in London at once to find and repair the leak. You can make an appointment on www.4dheatingandplumbing.co.uk.
An alternative is to inspect your water supply valves. Ensure the valves are exactly on the "on" position, and not a little out, as such a situation could cause a low water pressure.
- Boiler Problems
Boiler problems are common in most homes and offices around London.
Most people limit boiler problems to just cold months when there is no hot water or when the heating system is not efficient - they go beyond that. Faulty boilers are a known cause of carbon monoxide poisoning which is detrimental to our health
To prevent the occurrence of a boiler fault, scheduling regular boiler checks with an experienced gas safe plumber becomes very vital. Also, occasional bleeding helps to deter your boiler from sudden breakdowns.
This bleeding procedure will expel the trapped air and keep your radiators clear and fully functional. How can you bleed your radiators?
- For your safety, ensure your radiators are turned off and allowed to cool.
- Get your radiator key and plug it into the valve, turning clockwise. The escaping air will cause a hissing sound from the radiator.
- Watch out for a liquid leak from the valve. The presence of the leak will show that all the trapped air has escaped.
- Turn the radiator key to shut the valve.
Leaks can cause you expensive water bills and repair costs. So ensure you prevent leaks by following these steps:
- Decrease your water pressure. This is very important, as the high water pressure can weaken your pipes and cause them to burst. Don’t try to adjust your water pressure by yourself. Contact a local plumber, or book an emergency plumber online in London to help you fix the issue in no time.
- Install a water softener. Mineral buildup in your pipes causes the water passing through the pipe to harden; a sign of this is the presence of white substances on your taps and showerheads. Hard water causes the pressure to increase in your pipes. The pipes also face the risk of corrosion due to the presence of the minerals.
- Get in touch with us to book a plumber online in London to get your pipes insulated. This will be a big help during the winter, in ensuring your pipes do not get frozen and burst, thereby causing a leak. We advise you do not switch off your heating, especially if travelling; instead turn your boiler on to a frost setting to ensure the water in your pipes stays unfrozen. This might cause you expenses in energy and heating bills, but it will be cheaper than the plumbing bills to replace and repair frozen and burst pipes.
- Broken Pipes
Special care around plumbing pipes, especially surface pipes, will ensure your pipes do not get broken and cause an extremely damaging plumbing emergency. Ensure no heavy objects are placed on or near pipes. Protect your pipes in the cold months by running your heating appliances.
We are available and always willing to provide professional assistance to all of your plumbing emergencies. We work with a team of very experienced plumbers, and the best industry-grade technology and equipment in plumbing and heating installations and repairs.