Losing weight is a hectic and emotionally draining task. That is why there are different methods available for you to help you lose excess fat off your body. Some of you might like weight-loss dietary supplements, some of you may like following a diet book, and some of you may go for a weight loss surgery. While it is a very expensive way to lose weight, you will certainly get results faster. Weight loss surgery is also known as bariatric surgery. But before you go for weight loss surgery, there are a few things which you should know.
Also Read:- Sleep duration, pattern impact weight loss
Bariatric Surgery Options
How do you know if you are eligible for a weight loss surgery or not? Mentioned below are some points which you must know:
- If your body mass index (BMI) is above 40, you can get bariatric surgery.
- If your BMI is above 35 and you are suffering from high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes, you can get surgery.
- If your BMI is above 35 and you have uncontrolled diabetes.
But the thing is, there are three procedures and which one is the right one for you is very important to determine. Let’s take a look at these procedures.
Gastric Bypass Surgery
In this bariatric surgery, the basic thing which will be done to your body is the fat from the stomach will be reduced along with the amount of fat and calories that your body takes. During this surgery, your stomach will be disconnected from the top part, and a small pouch will be made by the surgeon there. Then a small loop of small intestine will be brought up and be directly connected to the GI (gastrointestinal tract) so that when you eat food, 90 to 95 % of it directly goes to the small intestine for faster digestion.
A history of these surgeries suggests that patients were able to lose about 10 to 20 pounds right after this surgery was completed successfully. This surgery is suitable for people who:
- Have a severe reflux disease
- Have a very high body mass index (BMI)
- Have diabetes
Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery
In this weight loss surgery, the operation is focused on the stomach only. This surgery is also known as the gastric sleeve. Your surgeon will remove around 80 to 85 % of fat from the region leaving a very small sleeve in its place. It is said that this surgery is a bit safer than gastric bypass surgery.
This surgery is good for people who:
- Have had multiple abdominal surgeries in the past
- Are considered as high-risk surgical patients
- Who is weighing more than 500 pounds
- Are on multiple medications to treat psychiatric illnesses
So this is a procedure which is a combination of both the gastric bypass surgery and sleeve gastrectomy weight loss surgery. The surgery may seem like the best of both worlds, but when you consider the risks, it is much higher. If you want to go this route, you must find a surgeon who is good at his job and has experience with this kind of surgery. The clear benefit of a successful duodenal switch surgery is that it will help in losing weight much faster. This surgery is suitable for people who:
- Are suffering from severe obesity and have to lose weight fast to avoid complications
- Are suffering from a severe metabolic disease where their body is not digesting the food at a rate slower than the normal
- Are good at following the tips and suggestions of their doctor